Company Specific Structure Information
Companies can create a hierarchy of clubs to enable their company to compete with other companies and foster internal competition between worksites and/or brands/businesses. The basic process involves creating a top level Club in Strava that ALL employees become a member of, and second level clubs for a Brand/Business/Location that only riders involved in that specific Brand/Business/Location are involved in. Best Practice for organizing this is shown below. John Doe plays the role of your company's Chief Domestique(French for administrator). The process is somewhat confusing because it bounces between the National Bike Challenge website and Strava's website. If you do not need second level clubs for locations/businesses, stop at step 4.
- Registration. John Doe registers for the National Bike Challenge(NBC) at https://nationalbikechallenge.org. If John doesn't have a personal Strava account already, he will create one in this step. It is CRITICAL that John ensures his location in STRAVA is formatted as following example: Woodbury, Minnesota United States (No abbreviations, shortcuts. Do it exactly like this!).
- Strava will auto delete all clubs that do not have a GPS based ride logged. If you do not have a GPS based ride available, a file for one is attached. To upload in Strava, first download "NBCholderDATA.tcx" to someplace on your harddrive where you can find it, then click to orange plus sign in the upper right corner of the Strava screen, and select upload activity. On the left side of the new screen, select "File" , then click the button to the right ""Choose Files", and select the one you just downloaded. Complete the process by clicking the Orange "Save & View Button".
- Strava Company Club. John Doe in Strava creates a club for his workplace at https://www.strava.com/clubs/search. Click the Create Club box in the upper right corner of the screen using the type "company/workplace". The Sport of the club must be set to "Cycling". Other types will fail to import in step 3 below. This is the top level club that all employees should become a member of. An "invite only" club creates lots of extra work. By Default, John Doe the owner. You can add two more riders as administrators(suggested).
- NBC Club Import. Go back into the NBC site and import the new "club" into the Challenge. This is done by clicking John Doe's name in the upper right corner of the screen and highlighting "Settings" in the drop down menu. Select "Groups" from the list on the left side of the new page. Their newly created "Strava Company Club" should be in the list "GROUPS AVAILABLE FOR IMPORT". Import the newly created club and select workplace/company as the group type.
- Begin Recruiting Riders. Also on the "Settings" page is a "Referral" field. Share the URL to assist riders to register. Once they have registered and created their personal Strava account, have them join the "Strava Company Club" John Doe created in Strava. In Strava, they highlight "Explore" on the top menu bar and select "Clubs" from the drop down menu. Give them the "club" to search for, and they should be able to join. You can also give them the URL for your club. Note: they will not appear on the NBC Leaderboards until they log a ride. It may take upto 24 hours for them to appear on the Workplace Leaderboard. They should appear in the list of Members.
- Create a Ghost Account to Manage Second Level Clubs. If you want to create Second Level Clubs, it is suggested that you create an Administrator Account as John Doe does not want his rides to show up in all second level clubs. One way to do this is to create a gmail account with a name like "AAACompAdmin", and then to create a Strava account with this username. Be sure to log one ride with GPS data to this account (Step 2 Above) (and each created club(s) so they stay alive). Strava auto-deletes clubs with no activity. AAACompAdmin should join the top level club that John Doe created. Next AAACompAdmin should log into the NBC using this new admin account. Finally AAACompAdmin should log out of Strava.
- Add AAACompAdmin as Administrator of Company Club. John Doe should log into his Strava account, and designate AAACompAdmin as an administrator of the top level Company Club. Then John Doe should log out of Strava
- Create Second Level Clubs. AAACompAdmin should log back into Strava and creates clubs in Strava for each Brand/business/location needed. Suggested format is AAAComp-Chicago, AAAComp-Peoria, AAAComp-Housewares, etc.
- NBC Second Level Club Import. AAACompAdmin should log into the NBC site and imports the newly created clubs into the NBC. This is done by clicking AAACompAdmin in the upper right corner of the screen and highlighting "Settings" in the drop down menu. Select "Groups" from the list on the left side of the new page. The newly created "club" should be in the list "GROUPS AVAILABLE FOR IMPORT". Import the newly created club(s) and select workplace/company as the group type.
- Set as Member Worksites. AAACompAdmin clicks their name in the upper right corner of the screen and selects Settings form the Drop Down Menu, and clicks Groups on the left side of the new page. Then select the top level company club from the list of "Groups You Imported". Now search for the second level groups and make them member worksites.
- Rider Club Memberships. New riders have to register for the NBC (create a Strava account if necessary), join the top level work place Club in Strava, and join the second level club(s) in Strava. They will not appear in any leaderboard until they have logged at least one ride.
As the Brand/Business/Location clubs are made member worksites, In the NBC group management they will appear as part of the Leaderboards. You can go from top level workplace down to worksites and to riders. When reporting is enabled(not available 4/15/17), workplace admins will be able to generate CSV files of their minions. If AAACompAdmin designates other admins for the second level Strava clubs, they will be able to generate CSV file for their minions.
Privacy settings are also a big deal in how everything functions. Please read this FAQ if things are not working
Not everything is working as intended on 4/15/17. Recruit for the top level corporate workplace. We will get this fixed.