2017 National Bike Challenge
What is it?
- The National Bike Challenge is a nationwide event uniting thousands of current bicyclists and encouraging countless new riders. It is a free and easy way to challenge yourself, your colleagues and your community to ride more while competing on a local, state and national level.
- The Challenge starts May 1st and finishes on September 30th
- 2015: 1st Place 3M Company; 2nd Place Trek
- 2016: 1st Place Trek; 2nd Place 3M Company
- 2016: 45,982 riders logged 24,749,196 miles
- Multiple levels across State, Community, local advocacy groups, schools, companies
- Leagues can be organized for customized competitions
- New for 2017 is the Bike Shop League, where bike shop employees and customers compete
How does it work?
- You score 20 points each day you ride and 1 point for every mile ridden
- All outdoor rides count: commuting, errands, mountain biking, road biking, family rides, etc.
- All data is input in the National Bike Challenge via Strava
- Manually via web portal or smartphone app
- Uploaded from gps device
How do I get started?
- Registration. John Doe registers for the National Bike Challenge(NBC) at https://nationalbikechallenge.org. If John doesn't have a personal Strava account already, he will create one in this step. In order to be visible in the NBC, at least one ride must be logged, so manually log a 1 mile ride in Strava. It is CRITICAL that John ensures his location in STRAVA is formatted as following example: Woodbury, Minnesota United States (No abbreviations, shortcuts. Do it exactly like this!).
- Strava Company Club. John Doe in Strava creates a club for his bikeshop at https://www.strava.com/clubs/search. Click the Create Club box in the upper right corner of the screen using the type "company/workplace". The Sport of the club must be set to "Cycling". Other types will fail to import in step 3 below. This is the top level club that all employees and customers should become a member of. An "invite only" club creates lots of extra work. By Default, John Doe the owner. You can add two more riders as administrators(suggested).
- NBC Club Import. Go back into the NBC site and import the new "club" into the Challenge. This is done by clicking John Doe's name in the upper right corner of the screen and highlighting "Settings" in the drop down menu. Select "Groups" from the list on the left side of the new page. Their newly created "Strava Bikeshop Club" should be in the list "GROUPS AVAILABLE FOR IMPORT". Import the newly created club and select bikeshop as the group type.
- Begin Recruiting Riders. Also on the "Settings" page is a "Referral" field. Share the URL to assist riders to register. Once they have registered and created their personal Strava account, have them join the "Strava Bikeshop Club" John Doe created in Strava. In Strava, they highlight "Explore" on the top menu bar and select "Clubs" from the drop down menu. Give them the "club" to search for, and they should be able to join. You can also give them the URL for your club. Note: they will not appear on the NBC Leaderboards until they log a ride. It may take upto 24 hours for them to appear on the Nikeshop Leaderboard. They should appear in the list of Members.
- Follow @NatlBikeChallen on Twitter
Why do Companies Participate?
- Showcase Corporate Sustainability
- Enhance employment brand
- Great way to build a grass roots bike culture
- Fun way to build employee engagement
- Improve employee health and wellness
- Connect with other companies in community
- Connect with Customers