2017 National Bike Challenge
What is it?
- The National Bike Challenge is a nationwide event uniting thousands of current bicyclists and encouraging countless new riders. It is a free and easy way to challenge yourself, your colleagues and your community to ride more while competing on a local, state and national level.
- The Challenge starts May 1st and finishes on September 30th
- 2015: 1st Place 3M Company; 2nd Place Trek
- 2016: 1st Place Trek; 2nd Place 3M Company
- 2016: 45,982 riders logged 24,749,196 miles
- Multiple levels across State, Community, local advocacy groups, schools, companies
- Leagues can be organized for customized competitions
- New for 2017 is the Bike Shop League, where bike shop employees and customers compete
How does it work?
- You score 20 points each day you ride and 1 point for every mile ridden
- All outdoor rides count: commuting, errands, mountain biking, road biking, family rides, etc.
- All data is input in the National Bike Challenge via Strava
- Manually via web portal or smartphone app
- Uploaded from gps device
How do I get started?
- Right now: Join the beta test to get a firsthand look at the new platform, https://beta.nationalbikechallenge.org
- March 6-9: Presentations at National Bike Summit and webinars scheduled afterward: http://bikeleague.org/summit
- April 1st: New platform released, begin registration drives, and utilize Warmup Period
- Follow @NatlBikeChallen on Twitter
Why do Companies Participate?
- Showcase Corporate Sustainability
- Enhance employment brand
- Great way to build a grass roots bike culture
- Fun way to build employee engagement
- Improve employee health and wellness
- Connect with other companies in community